Saturday, December 08, 2007

Thomas Frey, Weasel

After putting me on the line for two months, our home inspectors finally had the balls to tell me they wouldn't compensate me for my ductwork, as detailed in an earlier entry. The excuse this time? That they recommended I have a thorough inspection of the HVAC system by a trained professional.

Silly me, I thought that was who I hired.

When I told him that my next call to him would be through my lawyer, suddenly he was willing to refund his fee. Too late, weasel. Our next step is to look into legal options and to let everyone we can think of in the real estate market know that he and his crew have no intention of standing behind their work unless legal action is threatened. I've already given them a Poor rating on Angie's List and am outing them on this blog as well.

For the record, the inspector's name is Thomas Frey, and his company is Thomas Frey and Associates. Hire them at your peril.

The strangest part of the entire exchange with Tom was at the very end, when he finally pleaded poverty, telling me that he didn't *have* $3000 to pay me for the ductwork. How can you run a company without reserves set aside for this very thing? Or, at the very least, insurance? He claims to be bonded and insured on his website, not that this has a thing to do with the matter at hand.

If you live in the Portland, OR metro area and are buying a home or know someone who is, or even if you are involved in the industry, do yourself a favor and avoid these guys. Weasels, every one - Brian, Scott, and especially Tom.

No comments: