Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Want To Preorder An iPhone? Good Luck

Three hours of two different websites (Apple and AT&T) and it's pretty clear that I'm not going to be allowed to preorder an iPhone online today. The Apple site does fine right up until it tries to get your information from AT&T, and then it stalls out. AT&T's site will get your information (although why, after having completed our two year service contract in January of this year, why we suddenly have to pay a "transfer" fee of $18 per phone is beyond me), but then it won't complete the transaction online - and even tells you not to bother calling if you are looking for anything iPhone related.

Apple, you need to expand coverage to more providers. If that wasn't clear before, it should be now. On the plus side, apparently my old phone will be worth something on eBay since it won't require a new contract to buy.

Update: The problem does in fact seem to be on AT&T's end, as is being reported. Apple is now suggesting you "reserve" a phone via their Apple Stores, but since the price is set at $699 for the 32Gb phone (as they can't be sure what your upgrade status is), I am hesitant to do so. There is also a rumor that there is a bug in the ordering software that leaks customer data. Nice. Good thing the last four digits of your SSN are part of that personal data. Can we go with another cellular provider now please, Mr. Jobs?

I think this is a mixed blessing anyway, as my wife (now, of course) has decided she wants a white iPhone. I always like hearing thi sort of thing after spending hours trying to get through to the AT&T servers for four hours, where I could only get a black one. The white ones are due out later in the summer, apparently. I may just wait until then, although I'd *love* to get my old phone replaced sooner rather than later.

No comments: